Sunday, April 4, 2010

Remembering Holy Week

Saturday
Earlier in the week, Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.”

Where was Jesus from Friday night through Sunday morning? Many people claim they know but who could say. The only thing that matters is that redemption was put into place.

One thing that is so “God-like” is that something divine and holy was going on because of death. Part of the incredible mystery of God is what happens when something falls to the ground and dies. We see it in our seasons when the seeds fall to the ground in autumn and dies in the winter’s cold. It takes the winter, it takes death before spring is allowed to rise up with all of its beauty. A transformation occurs that no one can explain. Life is born out of death. Suffering gives birth to Joy. Jesus died so we could live.

For me, all growth and new life has come from something in my life that had to die. It is not a one time event. Relationships die and give birth to new ones. The world that I create to in order to try and control my life falls apart and forces me to trust God. I have learned in the winter of my life, in the days between life and resurrection, God does a work that only He can do. I don’t invite it and often cry out, God if there is another way…

• What deep pain and suffering in your life has given birth to something beautiful?

• What are you trying to keep alive so that you can maintain the illusion you are in control?

• What has had to die inside of you for new life to be born?


Click on the envelope below to send to a friend.

No comments: